Monday, July 30, 2012

Homemade Chicken Basil Sundried Tomato Sausage

On the extreme ways to save more and more money with the evergrowing cost of well everything I decided to make some sausage for the first time. Since we found chicken on sale for $1.69lb boneless skinless I figured to try to make the sausage we buy at the Italian market. At the market it is $3.99lb sadly. With hubby's high blood pressure the salt content is a serious determining factor.

After grinding the chicken, we added a bunch of basil [some from the reserve we had in the freezer, and half of another bunch say $1. for the basil.] The sundried tomatoes were from a jar I canned up in October. [.50]. Taste , and savings were the most important. The taste was okay...flavors were excellent, but needed a bit more fat content as it was pretty dry. So cost for about 22lb of sausage is as follows:






Chicken $28.42
Basil $1.00
Sundried tomato .50
Casing $4.00
misc spices .50
Total for 22lbs of sausage: $34.42/ $1.56lb

Since the flavor was amazing I will certainly do this again. The butcher at the market was fabulous so I will grab some more chicken fat, or mix in a bit of thigh since that is even cheaper.

UPDATE:


Tried to make a couple different sausages, but the fat is so important, and I think my seasonings are just not enough. Anyone ever made homemade hot dogs? These just tasted like hamburger in casing to us. OHHH and don't use pork picnic to make any sort of sausage it is terrible and clogs up my grinder like nobodies business!

2 comments:

  1. Homemade sausage! Wow, I didn't even think that was possible. I can imagine all the fun you had making your own. Oh the possibilities and flavors you could add in. Thanks so much for stopping by my blog.

    PS. Your email shows as a no reply blogger. Which basically means if you leave a comment I can not respond to you through email. To change this, go to your blogger dashboard, click "edit user profile", then check "show my email address" and save! Hope you find this helpful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hiya Brandi! Welcome! Well I didn't know how possible it would be, but we have since made another flavor that was our favorite of the 2. Jalapeno, cilantro, mex style that was hot, and savory nomnom.

    On the no reply blogger I have no idea what that is so will look into. Why do others answer by email? Thanks for the help!!!

    ReplyDelete