Thursday, March 8, 2012

In the Kitchen this Week-- Homemade Hoagie rolls

For whatever reason I have been craving a BLT like nobodies business. Our usual route is buying hoagie rolls at Aldi's for $1.99. Since we have been making bread I just have a problem spending money on bread anymore. So I took this recipe I modified and made these hoagie rolls.



4 c flour [unbleached wheat/bread mix is what I used.]
2 eggs
1 c warm water
2 1/4 tsp yeast
1/4 c oil [canola]
pinch of salt
1/2 c sugar

Pretty sure that is all of it. Sometimes I add flax seed, etc to dress it up. After a few minutes in the bread machine and fifteen minutes or so of kneading it was separated in six pieces for a good sized hoagie roll. After about 1.5hrs of rising stuck them in the oven at 350 [convection] for fifteen minutes. Again it may vary for your oven. Let me tell you they were delicious! Not only were they hearty, but they tasted better than the Aldi's hoagie rolls. That and the cost was surely under the $1.99 cost. Next on the mission for the month....hot dog, hamburger buns!




No comments:

Post a Comment